San Diego, United States – Three men were killed in a shooting that targeted the Islamic Center of San Diego in California, while authorities said two suspected attackers, believed to be teenagers, were also dead. Police are treating the incident as a possible hate crime.
San Diego police said officers responded on Monday to reports of a shooting at the center, located on Eckstrom Avenue in the Clairemont area, before later announcing that the threat had been “neutralized.” Local media reported that the first emergency calls came in shortly before noon, prompting a heavy police presence around the mosque.
According to the Associated Press, citing San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl, one of the victims was working as a security guard at the mosque. Authorities have not yet released the names of the victims or full details about the sequence of events, while investigators continue to examine the motive and circumstances surrounding the attack.
The Islamic Center of San Diego is considered the largest mosque in San Diego County. Its premises also include Al-Rashid School, which offers classes in Arabic, Islamic studies and the Quran. Aerial footage cited by media reports showed children being evacuated from the area following the attack, while authorities set up a reunification center for affected families.
Local and state officials, including San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria and California Governor Gavin Newsom, said they were monitoring developments, praised the work of first responders and urged residents to follow official instructions and avoid the area until security operations were completed. The incident comes amid renewed debate in the United States over the protection of places of worship and efforts to confront crimes motivated by religion or ethnicity. Police stressed that the investigation remains ongoing and that any additional information will be released through official channels.


