Berlin, Germany – German automaker Volkswagen said on Monday that the new legal proceedings brought against it in France over the “Dieselgate” scandal are unacceptable. It asserted that it had already been found guilty in the same case and had settled its legal issues in both the United States and Germany.
Official rejection of French measures
The company said the new lawsuits were “inadmissible,” referring to French legal proceedings related to the diesel emissions scandal. That scandal erupted in 2015 and triggered one of the biggest crises in the history of the global automotive industry.
Background of the Dieselgate scandal
The case stems from the discovery of software in some diesel vehicles that allowed them to cheat emissions tests. This resulted in lower pollution levels being recorded during inspections. Volkswagen later admitted wrongdoing and paid billions of dollars in fines and settlements in the United States. It also faced legal action and financial penalties in Germany.
Ongoing legal consequences
Despite previous settlements, the scandal continues to haunt the company in several European countries, where affected parties and legal authorities are seeking further liabilities. Volkswagen maintains that it cooperated with the relevant authorities and closed the main cases related to the scandal. It emphasizes its commitment to environmental and legal standards in its current operations.
The Dieselgate scandal is considered one of the most prominent issues that has spurred automakers to accelerate the transition to electric vehicles. It has also led to stricter transparency standards in emissions testing.



